On Oct. 23, 2018, a fire broke out in Georgia. The family had time to get their kids out, but there was no time to go back in for their loved dog Taka, their nine-year-old Shiba Inu. The fire burned the entire porch, causing the floor to collapse and Taka to fall through the ashes.
Taka woke up just in time and ran off the porch, but he got severely burned in the process. He had burns on his eyes, mouth, ears, and belly, and he ended up going blind. Upon seeing a dog on fire, the neighbors panicked and reached out to Crystal Lesley, a veterinarian at Care More Animal Hospital on Facebook whose expertise is known for dog rehabilitation and training, which was the right choice back then.
The dog’s family came to see him at the hospital, unfortunately, they decided to surrender him to the hospital. They were worried they wouldn’t be able to properly care for his injuries as they were severe and would require a lot of training and therapy to get him back on his paws.
“When I saw the picture I immediately called her and told her she needed to bring him to me!” Lesley says. “She was able to get some help and they brought him in. He was still smoking when they found him. We had never encountered a burn victim as severe as Taka before and we were terrified that he wouldn’t make it.”
Taka became popular among the staff and volunteers at the animal hospital. One of the staff, Crystal Lesley, became particularly fond of the injured pooch. In fact, the veterinary technician was so in love with the dog that she decided to take him home with her to care for him as his foster mom, because he would definitely benefit from her dog training techniques and experience, and that was the right call.